The M. Russell Ballard Scholarship is named after President M. Russell Ballard and is intended to recognize Ensign College students who have demonstrated leadership and service characteristics as exemplified by M. Russell Ballard’s life and teachings. Scholarship applicants will be asked to submit an essay where they can describe how they have been wise and anxiously engaged in service opportunities and/or have been “an example of the believers” by always striving to change lives through positive and fair leadership. Two letters of recommendation are required on behalf of the student.
- A limited number of scholarships are available per year, based upon available budget
- First-time freshmen and continuing students demonstrating exemplary leadership, and who will remain at the College
- Minimum 3.5 GPA for incoming freshmen (3.2 GPA for existing students)
- Two-semesters – full Church member tuition
- Available for members and non-members
- Use during consecutive semesters (Spring is optional)
- All full-time students (12+ credits)
- Not transferable
- Degree-seeking enrolled in AS, AAS or BAS program
- Thank-you letter required prior to disbursement
- Pathway students not eligible
- Must be in good honor code standing and must remain in good academic standing to continue to receive the scholarship
- Must have experience with leadership or can demonstrate services performed prior to applying for the scholarship
- The student must submit an essay in the application.
- This essay should include a specific quote from one of President Ballard’s talks and discuss how that phrase or topic has applied to their service and/or leadership experiences.
- Students may also describe how they have been wise and anxiously engaged in service opportunities and/or have been "an example of the believers" by always striving to change lives through positive and fair leadership.
- Two letters of recommendation are required in order for students to be considered.
- Former employer, seminary teacher/principal, community leader, school counselor, Ensign College faculty and/or mission president, etc. must write letters of recommendation.
- When the student completes the application, they can identify whom they would like to write their letters of recommendation and the system will send an email (from inside the new application) that will have instructions on how to submit the letter.
- Letters of recommendation will only be accepted if they are submitted through that new process in the Scholarship Portal application.
- These letters of recommendation must be received by 8/18 Fall, 12/4 Winter, and 4/4 Spring.
- Scholarships will be awarded on a semester basis in preparation for the upcoming semester.
- Full-time missionaries may defer their scholarships until the time they enter school.
April 1 (Spring), August 15 (Fall) and December 1 (Winter)
*Applications will not be considered after the deadline.
|INCOMING STUDENTS||CONTINUING STUDENTS|
|Award Amount||Full Church-member tuition||Full Church-member tuition|
|Awarding Criteria||As selected by committee||As selected by committee|
|Duration||2 semesters - Non-renewable||2 semesters - Non-renewable|
|Required Enrollment||Full-time (12+ credits required)||Full-time (12+ credits required)|
*Stackable means the scholarship can, or cannot, be combined with another scholarship.
**Budget Constrained means there is a limited amount of funds that we are able to award to students.