The Ensign College Testing Center provides student testing by appointment and is located on the west end of the 4th floor.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Thursday: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Closed Tuesday: 11 a.m. to noon (devotional) and Friday: 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. (staff meeting)
ALEKS PPL Math Placement Exam
The ALEKS math placement test is made up of three parts:
1. The initial practice exam. This test gives you a baseline for your current math skills.
2. The modules. After the practice exam, you are required to work in the modules for five (5) hours to improve those areas that need improving. Studies show students who do this place in a higher math class than they usually would.
3. The proctored placement exam. This is the test that will tell you which math class you place into. Only after this exam will the math hold on your account be removed.
Students needing to take the Math placement exam can do so online or in the Testing Center. If you have already taken the initial practice exam and would like to have your official exam proctored in the Testing Center, you will need to schedule an appointment through RegisterBlast at least 24 hours in advance. If you would like to take the math placement exam at home with a virtual proctor, please note you will be charged an additional $5 fee that you will need to pay online before you can take the exam.
- The Testing Center may be closed any time that the College has closures for semester or holiday breaks. Please view the Academic Calendar for details.
Closures or other service hours adjustments will be posted online as soon as we are made aware.
Please come in at the time of your appointment. You won’t be able to take your test at any other time. Being more than 10 minutes late may result in the cancelation of your appointment.
Accommodated students with special requests should schedule at least 72 hours in advance, whenever possible, after working with their instructor to provide the Center with all necessary information.
TESTING SERVICES RULES FOR STUDENTS
- Observe Ensign College Dress & Grooming Standards.
- Arrive 10 minutes early before your scheduled time to get checked in and ready to test (late arrivals might not receive their full test time).
- Present your photo student ID.
- Pay placement test fee.
- Test scheduling must be submitted at least 24 hours in advance using RegisterBlast.
- Being more than 10 minutes late may result in the cancelation of your appointment.
- Store belongings in the lockers provided, and turn off all electronic devices.
- Use only approved testing items during test.
- Access only your test and approved websites.
- No talking is allowed in the testing area.
- Please remain in testing area until test is complete.
- Children are not allowed in the Testing Center and may not be left unattended in College areas.
- No outside music is allowed; however, classical music may be available upon request.
- Placement testing for Math
- Math placement exam: $17
- If proctored virtually, there is an additional $5 fee that you will need to pay online before taking the exam
- Math placement exam: $17
- Accommodated testing for students with documented disability modification
- MOS Certification exams
- MAPP Post-Assessment (Graduation requirement for AS of Integrated Studies)
- Course challenge exams on a limited basis: Cost varies depending on the course that is being challenged
- You must submit the Challenge Exam Request Form to determine test eligibility
DESCRIPTION OF TESTS
Math Placement Test
ALEKS PPL placement test scores, ACT/SAT scores or a transcript showing college transfer credits are required to register for any math class above MAT 90. Test scores or previous college credit will determine which course is appropriate.
An updated Ensign College math placement test is required if previous ACT, SAT or placement test scores are more than 18-months-old. You can schedule to take your proctored ALEKS PPL exam in the Testing Center through RegisterBlast , or it can be proctored virtually for an additional $5 fee. Please contact the Testing Center if you have any questions.
Course Challenge Exams
Challenge Examinations are approved by the related academic department, in conjunction with the Director of Curriculum and Director of Assessment. Program Chairs and Course Supervisors provide the Registrar’s office with a list of courses which provide challenge examinations on a yearly basis.
Requesting and Taking a Challenge Exam
- Review the policy below to make sure you are eligible.
- If you are a current student and meet all Challenge Exam requirements, complete the Challenge Exam form .
- If approved, you will receive an email to your ensign.edu email account with next steps.
- You will receive a “P” grade on your transcript if you pass. It will not affect your GPA, and if you fail, it will not show on your transcript.
- Please note that challenge credits may not be accepted by other schools or transfer. Challenge credits are only guaranteed to apply at other institutions if you receive your Associate's Degree and transfer the entire degree. If you have questions about whether or not challenge credit will be accepted by another institution, please contact that school directly.
Policy for Challenge Exams
HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT TESTING AND ASSESSMENT SERVICES?
The Testing Center is here to help! Contact us at 801-524-1988 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions.