Skips to main content

Registration Testing



Students looking to enroll in English 101 or its equivalent courses (English 101SA/101SB) should follow the recommendation in the Directed Self-Placement Guide below and select the course best suited to their individual needs.

Students are encouraged to complete their English 101 requirement in their first year at Ensign College.

Directed Self-Placement Guide


Placement test scores, ACT/SAT scores or a transcript showing college transfer credits are required to register for any math class above MAT 90. Test scores or previous college credit will determine which course is appropriate.
An updated Ensign College readiness test is required if previous ACT, SAT or placement test scores are more than 18 months old. Please contact the Testing Center to make an appointment to take the Accuplacer.


Students may earn a maximum of 50% of the credit required for a credential from Ensign College by transfer credit and credit by examination. Test credit includes Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), course challenge examinations, and industry certifications. All scores must be on official transcripts.


Transfer credit earned at other regionally accredited colleges or universities which meets the general education requirements of Ensign College is normally accepted if a C- or better grade was earned in the course. Other credits will be applied on the basis of appropriateness to the specific degree program requirements. The cumulative grade point average of students who transfer to the College is computed only on the basis of coursework completed at the College.


Students with transcripts from institutions outside the United States may be given credit at Ensign College on a case-by-case basis. Transfer credit will be considered when a translation/evaluation is submitted from one of the two approved translation services listed below. Students may choose one of the two and should request that the evaluation service send the report directly to Ensign College. They must also provide the College with an official copy of their transcripts from the institution they attended.

International Education Research Foundations

Inc. P.O. Box 3665, Culver City, CA 90231-3665

Phone: (310) 258-9451, Web:

Must request a “Detail Report”

World Education Services, Inc.

P.O. Box 26879, San Francisco, CA 94126-6879

Phone: (310) 258-9451, Web:

Must request a “Detail Report”


Credit is not given for experiential learning.


A period in which a student may add a class that is available on the catalog with available seating. See academic calendar for specific dates and deadlines.


Drops exist to allow students the ability to adjust their class schedule at the beginning of each semester. Courses may be dropped through the date noted on the Academic Calendar.


Withdrawals exist to allow students time to determine if a class fits their ability and goals. Students are expected to take responsibility to ensure that their schedules are correct and to attend all courses for which they are registered until they officially withdraw from those courses. The following policies apply:

  1. Students who have not attended class by the final class session of the first week of the semester may be administratively dropped by the Registrar’s Office at the request of course instructors. This policy does not, however, relieve students of the responsibility to inform the Registrar’s Office in advance of the semester of classes they do not plan to attend.
  2. Students must drop from their schedules the courses which they do not plan to attend. Dropped courses will not appear on student transcripts if they are dropped by the Add/Drop date announced on the Academic Calendar.
  3. After the time period designated above, students who officially withdraw from a course receive a W (official withdrawal) on their permanent record. The W is not used in calculating GPA. Official withdrawal may occur through the date announced on the Academic Calendar.
  4. Under no circumstances is dropping a course after the official withdrawal period permitted for purposes of avoiding an unsatisfactory grade. After the end of the official withdrawal period, withdrawal (W) will only be authorized for critical circumstances which are beyond the student’s control and prevent them from completing courses for which they are registered. In such cases, circumstances must be documented and presented in a petition to the Registrar’s Office. In cases of serious illness or injury, family members may petition for student withdrawal.
  5. Students who never attended class or who stop attending class but do not officially withdraw by the withdrawal deadline will receive an Unofficial Withdrawal (UW). The UW is calculated in the GPA as a failing grade (E).


Students can withdraw from the College at their own discretion. To withdraw, students must:

  1. Submit a completed withdrawal form to the Registrar’s Office (forms are available online or from the Registrar’s Office), written notification of withdrawal or drop all classes through MyEnsign. (The official date of withdrawal will be the date written notification is received by the College.)
  2. When a student completely withdraws from Ensign College after the tuition deadline, a pro-rated refund can be given by request until 60% of the term or semester has passed. There will be NO REFUND given when a student withdraws from school after 60% of the term or semester has elapsed.


Students wanting to audit a class (register for and attend class as a “listener” without receiving credit or a grade) must declare this at the time of registration. Tuition and fees are the same as if the class were taken for credit. Audited courses fulfill no graduation requirements and earn no credit. Therefore, they do not count in the credit load for international students, veterans, students receiving financial aid, or other tuition support programs.

Students may not challenge courses they have audited. Incomplete grade contracts may not be fulfilled by auditing a course. It is possible to change from audit status to credit status, or vice versa, from the beginning of the registration period through the last date to drop classes. (See Academic Calendar .) Credit/audit changes should only be made after careful consideration of the financial aid and credit load implications and after consultation with the Financial Aid Office and an academic advisor.

Have a question? Our Virtual Assistant may be able to help.

Close Modal