If you cannot attend a given semester for a reason other than religious or military service, please see our Leave of Absence Policy .
To defer attendance, you must complete the following steps:
- Be eligible to defer your attendance. See policy below for more information.
- Apply and be admitted to the College.
- Complete the Deferment Form. Please include your permanent address and email address in the form as we may reach out to you as your return semester approaches.
We encourage you to review the Newly Admitted Student Checklist before you leave to learn about important next steps to take before you leave. A few of these include FERPA Access, Transfer Evaluation, and Holds.
When newly admitted or current students require their attendance to be deferred for a specific and designated time to serve a religious mission or is called on military duty, students will need to submit a deferment form indicating the semester they will return.
Please note, you will need to complete the following steps before the application deadlines of the semester you will return.
During this process you will need to complete the full application including the following:
- Agree to any new privacy statements and releases.
- Update your personal and contact information.
- Select your applicant type, return semester and major.
- Your applicant type will likely be the same as in your the initial application. However, if you attended classes at Ensign College before leaving, you'll want to select “former” as your applicant type.
- Submit a new Ecclesiastical Endorsement through the online endorsement system.
- This will need to be completed by your mission president if you are currently serving a mission. If you have already returned home, your home bishop and a member of the stake presidency will do this.
- Update your educational history as needed.
- Submit the application.
Once you've updated the admission application, you'll be notified by admissions regarding the return from deferment and next steps. If you need assistance with this process, please contact the admissions office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling (801) 524-8145.