Skips to main content

How to Apply

Applying to Ensign College has never been easier! The resources below will guide you through the application process and answer the most frequent questions you may encounter.

  • Toggle Item
    1: Where to apply
    All Church Education System (CES) schools use the same website to complete applications. These schools include Ensign College, BYU, BYU-Idaho, and BYU-Hawaii. Ensign College admits students to start each Fall, Winter, and Spring semesters. The available semesters will be shown in the application.

    • When you apply, you will see a screen where you’ll create a username (Net ID) and password to identify yourself. Because it is a CES shared website, the page you create your Net ID on will look like a BYU page. You’re in the right place! You will have a chance to connect your LDS Account later in the application.
    • Once you create your Net ID, you will likely be directed to the BYU home page. Just click the "Apply Now" button again to return to the application.
    • If you already have a Net ID, please sign in with your Net ID and password. You don’t need to create a new one.
    • Click the Apply Now button below to get started.
  • Toggle Item
    2: Items to have on hand
    Be prepared to provide the following:

    1. A full educational history, including all colleges and universities you have attended previously, in or outside the United States.
    2. Your unweighted high school GPA or other high school equivalency. (Not sure what this is? Check with your high school.) You may also be asked to submit your transcript or evidence of completion of high school equivalency.
    3. For education completed outside of the United States, please see the section on International Education below for additional instructions.
    4. Your LDS account associated with your membership record number if you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
  • Toggle Item
    3: Complete the ecclesiastical endorsement process
    To complete the ecclesiastical endorsement, you will need to do the following:

    1. Review and agree to the honor code. See CES Honor Code for more information.
    2. If you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you'll be asked to meet with your bishop as well as a member of your stake presidency. If you are currently serving a mission, you will only need one interview with your mission president. You will initiate this process in the application, and then schedule an appointment with your leaders. They will complete their recommendation online using their LDS Account. You will need to meet with the bishop before a member of your stake presidency will have access to your endorsement.
    3. Not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? You'll still initiate this process in the application, but you can meet with a local Latter-day Saint bishop or your own clergy. If you meet with a Latter-day Saint bishop, they will complete the endorsement online. If you meet with your own clergy, you will need to print the paper form made available when you begin the process at, have your clergy complete it and return it to the Admissions Office or the email address located at the bottom of the form. Afterwards, you’ll meet with our college Chaplain. The Chaplain at Ensign College is Brother Jeffrey Rowland. He can be reached by email at . To find a local Latter-day Saint bishop, enter your address into the meetinghouse locator webpage .
  • Toggle Item
    4: Submit documents and pay application fee
    Only submit documents requested in the application.

    • Once you’ve completed all sections of the application, check the Status page for a list of documents to provide. Official Transcripts must be sent through one of our accepted channels:1. Electronically through Parchment Exchange, National Student Clearinghouse or e-Script2. Mailed by the college or university3. Hand-delivered by the student in a sealed envelope (the envelope cannot be tampered with in any way) to the Admissions Office (2nd Floor).4. Any international work must be submitted through IERF or WES. See below for more information.
    • For English Proficiency documentation, see below for more information.
    • Pay your one-time $35 application fee. If you have already paid this fee to apply to Ensign College, you won’t need to pay it again.
  • Toggle Item
    5: Submit your application
    All sections need to be marked complete before your application can be submitted. Once all sections are finished, click the ‘Submit Application’ button at the bottom of the Status page. Your application will not be reviewed until it has been submitted.
  • Toggle Item
    6: Admission dates and deadlines
    Admission decisions can take several weeks to several months depending on the semester you’ve applied for. Please see Admission Dates and Deadlines for when we will begin making decisions.
  • Toggle Item
    7: Checking decision status
    Watch your email for an admissions notification. You will need to log in to your application to see the official decision.
  • Toggle Item
    8: Get your Ensign College Net ID

    • If you’re admitted to the college, you’ll receive another email within 24-48 hours that contains your Net ID for Ensign College. This will also become your new Ensign College email. (So, if your assigned Net ID is johndee, your email address will be
    • After admission, all official school communications will be sent to this email address, so be sure to check it often.

Ensign College uses a holistic review process. This means that all parts of the application are considered. Our acceptance rate averages to a 91%, so please keep in mind that a certain GPA or English Proficiency score does not guarantee admission. If you would like to request an appeal to your decision or submit any additional requests to receive an exception to your application, please fill out our Exception to Admission Policy Form here .



Have you completed your high school/secondary or college education at a non-U.S. accredited institution outside of the United States? This education will need to be evaluated by a transcript evaluation service. We accept evaluations from the following two agencies:

IERF is accepting and processing new applications for evaluations. However, there may be slight delays due to the Safer at Home Order and the measures put in place to maintain the safety of their staff and community. Please visit their website at for more information.

WES is currently open for business. The majority of their staff continues to work from home while a small, dedicated team ensures that physical documents are handled securely. Please visit their website at for more information.

  • World Education Services (WES)
    • The required type of evaluation for high school (secondary education) documents is “DxD” Basic.
    • The required type of evaluation for college or university documents is “CxC” Basic.

Any international transcripts that are sent to us without proper evaluation cannot be accepted.


You may be required to submit proof of English Proficiency. This requirement may apply to international and U.S. students. This can be met by providing results from one of our accepted tests:

  • TOEFL (iBT)
  • IELTS (Academic)
  • Pearson’s PTE
  • Cambridge English – Advanced Placement Test (CAE) or Proficiency Test (CPE)

Not sure if you need to provide proof of English Proficiency? Once you complete the School Selection and Profile tabs of the application, the Status tab will indicate whether proof is required.

If the English Proficiency exam is required, you will need to meet the minimum sub scores as shown below. If you don't meet the minimum sub scores the first time, you are encouraged to increase your skills and retest.

Please note that your admission decision will be based on your most recent test scores.

Scores from any of these tests should be sent directly from the testing company that issued the test. To do this, you will need to select Ensign College when you take the test or request an official score report to be sent to us later.

For the TOEFL iBT test, our institution code is 4414.

Please be sure to register for your exam with your name exactly as it appears on your Ensign College application .

Subject Area/Sub ScoresReadingListeningSpeakingWriting
TOEFL (IBT)17161617
Pearson's PTE47454547
Cambridge English - Advanced Placement Test (CAE) or Proficiency Test (CPE)169169162154

*Effective September 1, 2017, Ensign College does not accept the Michigan MELAB or the Michigan Internexus tests.


If you have completed the PathwayConnect program, be sure to include this as college work in your application. Completion of this program does not waive or fulfill any other admission requirements including high school completion and English Proficiency. If you are admitted to the college, readiness testing is still required for all incoming students.

For more information on how your PathwayConnect credit will transfer, please see our PathwayConnect Transfer Guide .

piggy bank for school savings
International Student Deposit
In order for students to be successful academically at Ensign College, they must also be financially prepared. All international students (those in F-1 student status) who are admitted to the college must complete additional steps before attending. The instructions for this process will be sent to the email address you use to apply once you have been admitted.

Admitted international students will be required to complete the following steps before an I-20 will be issued:

  1. Submit a copy of your passport
  2. Submit an affidavit of support signed by your sponsor
  3. Provide a bank statement from your sponsor indicating at least $14,000 USD for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and $18,000 for non-members
  4. Pay the international student deposit*

*Effective Starting Winter 2019 Admits: Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be required to pay $5,000 USD and non-member students $7,500 USD to the Ensign College cashier’s office following notification of their admission. You will not be able to register for classes, nor will the I-20 be created until the deposit is paid and all other documents are received. The registration hold will be removed once all required documents and full deposit are received. There is no option to pay a portion of the deposit. A full deposit is required. The deposit will be held in escrow by Ensign College to assist the student in paying for school. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may access up to $3,000 and non-members may access up to $5,500 to be applied towards their fees and tuition. The remaining $2,000, which is set aside for the student as an emergency fund, is for the purchase of a plane ticket to return to their home country.
paper records
High School Transcript Verification
Did you complete your high school work at a U.S.-accredited institution? You can self-report your high school GPA when you apply. However, the admissions office reserves the right to request a transcript to verify high school completion and GPA at random as well as in the event that conflicting information may be present in the application. If a transcript is required, you'll be notified on your status screen or by the email address.


Did you forget your Net ID or password to access the application? If so, contact the help desk at (801) 524-8119 or For questions regarding the application process, call (801) 524-8145 or email, or schedule a meeting with one of our Admissions counselors below. They can help answer any questions about the College, our programs and our admissions process.

Click to schedule a meeting with Gisselle. Or email her at
Click to schedule a meeting with Jake. Or email him at
Have a question? Our Virtual Assistant may be able to help.