Skips to main content

Federal Pell Grant

Students smiling on the stairs
Who is eligible?
Because the federal Pell Grant is not a loan, you won’t have to pay the funds back. However, students who don't finish attending or don't receive a passing grade in the classes may have to pay part or all of their pell grant back. Your eligibility for the Pell Grant is based on need (through information on the FAFSA), and you can only receive it if you have not yet completed a bachelor’s degree.

Your status will be re-evaluated each academic year when a new FAFSA is submitted. You may only receive 600 percent of your Pell Grant eligibility and can use up to 150 percent per academic aid year if attending full-time fall, winter and spring semesters.

You will also need to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to continue receiving Pell Grants.
Students talking together outside
How it’s disbursed
Pell Grants are first disbursed to your college tuition account to pay your tuition bill and any other authorized charges. Remaining funds will then be sent to you in the form of a check.

Students who are eligible for federal financial aid must be able to purchase books and supplies at the beginning of the academic period. Therefore, by the seventh day of the pay period (beginning with the first day of school), Ensign College will provide a way for a student who is eligible for federal financial aid to obtain and/or purchase books and supplies.

Many course content and/or courseware charges are posted to the student’s account when they enroll in classes. When students log in to accept/decline their financial aid, they are given an opportunity to elect whether or not federal financial aid can cover charges other than tuition. If a student authorizes it, their course content charges & courseware charges can be paid for with their federal financial aid.

If a student’s financial aid has been awarded/disbursed and their financial aid check is not available/mailed by that date, they can obtain a “bookstore voucher” from the Cashier’s Office. If a student would prefer not to receive a bookstore voucher, they can decline (opt out) to participate in this process.


The Financial Aid Office is here to help! Contact us at (801) 524-8111 with any further questions.

Have a question? Our Virtual Assistant may be able to help.

Close Modal