Skips to main content

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

A student receiving federal aid (federal grants and loans) must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

SAP includes your cumulative grade point average, your aggregate completion rate (Pace) and the maximum time frame to complete your degree. All periods of enrollment count toward Satisfactory Academic Progress (Fall, Winter, Spring), including periods when a student does not receive financial aid.

Cumulative Grade Point Average
A student on financial aid must maintain a minimum 2.0 CGPA in order to continue receiving financial aid. This is reviewed at the end of each semester. Transfer credit does not count toward the CGPA.

PACE (Aggregate Completion Rate)
PACE is a measure of a student's progress toward graduation. A student on financial aid must complete at least 67% of all credits attempted at Ensign College. The calculation is done by dividing total credits completed by the total credits attempted (this includes remedial coursework).

Total credits completed include courses with a grade of A-D & P and transfer credits accepted by the College. Incomplete grades are classes with grades of E, I, UW, W, X, NC and blank grades. If an incomplete grade is later changed to a passing grade, it will replace the incomplete grade in the SAP calculation. Audited courses (V grade) are not used in this calculation. A repeated course may only be counted as completed once. The College does not distinguish between withdrawal passing and withdrawal failing. If a student withdraws from a course, those credits will be considered incomplete. And while a W (withdrawal) will not be considered in a student’s cumulative GPA, it will be included in their Pace calculation.

Total credits attempted include any courses displayed on the student’s academic transcript with grades showing as A through E, I, P, UW, W, X, blank grades, and transfer credits accepted by the College. Total credits attempted includes each attempt of classes taken more than once.

Max Time Frame To Earn a Degree
A student must complete a degree within 150% of the number of credit hours required for the degree or certificate being sought. Please refer to the catalog year of your program to see the total number of credits and multiply this # by 1.5 to find when you would hit the 150% mark. Transfer credits accepted by the College towards your program count in this calculation.

If a student changes their major (to another program of equal or lesser value), their maximum time frame calculation does not reset. If they exceed the 150% mark, they would need to submit an appeal to continue using financial aid.

Conversely, if a student declares a major that is a higher credential, their SAP will be recalculated the next time SAP is processed.

Financial Aid Warning
Students who do not meet SAP standards for the first time may be placed on Financial Aid warning for one semester. During this semester the student may still receive financial aid. A student will be placed on warning when:

  • The CGPA falls below 2.0 (but is still above 1.0) the first time.
  • The student must have a 2.0 CGPA by the end of the warning term.
  • The Aggregate Completion Rate falls below 67%.
  • The student must have a completion rate above 67% by the end of the warning term.

Financial Aid Disqualification
A student will be disqualified from receiving aid when:

  • He/she does not meet SAP requirements by the end of the warning semester.
  • The CGPA is below 1.0.
  • He/she does not or will not be able to complete a degree within 150% of the number of hours required for graduation.

Reinstatement of Aid and the Appeals Process
Aid may be reinstated by attending classes, without receiving financial aid, until the CGPA is above 2.0 and the completion rate is above 67%.

Students who are disqualified from receiving aid have the option to appeal the disqualification. Appeals may be submitted if the student had unusual circumstances that were beyond his/her control.

To appeal disqualification, students must log into their Financial Aid Forms Portal and either submit a Max Time Frame Appeal or a Pace & GPA Appeal. Both these appeals require the student to submit a statement where they explain their circumstances, and have the option for students to submit additional documentation for consideration. Students attending Ensign College on campus must also meet with an academic advisor to complete an academic plan in order for the appeal submission to be considered complete.

Appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Students whose appeal is approved will be placed on financial aid probation for one semester. The student must meet SAP requirements or the terms of their probation by the end of that semester to continue to receive financial aid at the college. If it is mathematically impossible to reach the SAP minimum standards by the end of the semester, the student will remain on financial aid probation – which requires that the student meet the SAP standards on the most recently completed term.

Have a question? Our Virtual Assistant may be able to help.

Close Modal