Skips to main content

Eligibility Requirements

Learn more about the requirements you’ll need to receive federal financial aid.

< Return to Financial Aid
  • Basic Eligibility Criteria For Federal Financial Aid
  • Students must:

    • Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
    • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen;
    • Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN);
    • Exceptions include residents of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau
    • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program;
    • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
    • Show they are qualified to obtain a college or career school education by
    • Having a high school diploma or a state-recognized equivalent such as a GED; or
    • Completing a high school education in a homeschool setting
  • Students Not Eligible For Federal Aid
  • Students in the U.S. on:

    • F1 or F2 visa
    • J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa
    • G series visa
    • Students admitted as a “Visiting Student”
    • Students whose major is listed as “undeclared”
    • Students who are not in a federal aid eligible program
  • Conditions That May Prevent You From Receiving Federal Aid
    • Being in default on a loan made under any Title IV, HEA loan program.
    • Having received loans that exceed annual or aggregate limits under any Title IV or HEA program.
    • Having listed a defaulted Federal Student Aid loan or grant overpayment in an active bankruptcy claim.

  • Classes Ineligible For Financial Aid
  • Some classes are not eligible for federal financial aid.

    • Audited classes
    • Classes added after FAD date in certain circumstances.
    • Classes not required for your degree program.
    • Repeated courses in certain circumstances.

Have a question? Our Virtual Assistant may be able to help.

Close Modal