Skips to main content

Federal Parent PLUS Loan

A Direct PLUS Loan is a non-need-based loan available to parents of undergraduate students to aid in paying for educational expenses.

Return to Financial Aid

  • Eligibility
    • Complete the FAFSA.
    • The parent must be the student’s biological or adoptive mother or father. A stepparent is also eligible to borrow a PLUS loan if their income and assets are taken into account on the student’s FAFSA application. A legal guardian is not considered a parent for this purpose.
    • The parent must complete the Parent PLUS loan request and notify the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.
    • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 6 eligible credit hours.
    • The parent must e-sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN)
    • The parent must have acceptable credit. The U.S. Department of Education will run a credit check.
  • Award Amount
  • The maximum loan amount is the cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial aid received.

  • Loan Fees
  • There is a loan fee on all PLUS loans.

    The loan fee is a percentage of the loan amount and is proportionately deducted from each loan payment.

    View Current Loan Fee Percentage
  • Interest Rate
  • Learn about interest rates and how much it costs to pay back a loan.

    View Current Interest Rates

  • Disbursement
  • Parent PLUS loans will pay balances on the student’s account first.

    Any excess will be disbursed to the parent unless otherwise noted on the Parent PLUS Loan Request.
  • Continued Eligibility Student Requirements

  • Continued Eligibility Parent Requirements
    • Complete the Parent PLUS Loan Request each year.
    • E-sign an MPN if it has expired.
    • Prove credit worthiness by passing a credit check each year a PLUS Loan is requested.

    View Your Pell Grant and Loan History

Have a question? Our Virtual Assistant may be able to help.

Close Modal