Skips to main content


asian man and white man in classroom
What Are You Here For?
student high five icon
I just want my "generals"
Click or tap for more
Great! Ensign is a cost-effective way to get started in college. And did you know that your credits will transfer more easily if they're packaged in an associate of science degree? Learn more below.
question icon.png
I don't know what I want to study
Click or tap for more
No problem! You can start with your general education courses and maybe try an introduction course in one of our certificate programs to see if you like it. Talk to your success advisor or a career mentor to explore your options.
cap and diploma icon
I want an associate degree
Click or tap for more
Perfect! You have lots of options here. And with an associate of science degree, you'll not only graduate with fully transferable general education credits, you'll also have a career-focused certificate to help you earn more money while you're in school.

The Value of General Education at Ensign

College isn't just about picking a specialty and only taking classes in that one subject. General education courses give you a chance to explore new topics, meet different people, and become a well-rounded learner. Even if history, art, sociology, or algebra don't seem "useful" at first, they teach important skills you'll need no matter what job you choose.

At Ensign, general education is:

  • Technical - Learn how to think critically, solve problems, and work in teams while you study writing, math, science, and humanities.
  • Transferable - Our GE classes are designed to transfer to another school. See Transferring Credits below to see how pairing generals with a certificate to get an associate of science degree makes transferring even easier.
  • Transformational - You grow into an independent thinker ready for higher learning and work, equipped for lifetime success.

See General Education Requirements

GE three ts diagram

What Is an Associate Degree?

An associate degree is a two-year college degree that focuses on the basics of a field. It sets you up for the future with a solid base of learning. It's perfect for students seeking a quicker path to start working or those wanting to save money on general education classes before transferring to a four-year university.

At Ensign College, we have two types of associate degrees: the associate of applied science (AAS) and the associate of science (AS).

Associate of Applied Science (AAS)

The AAS focuses on the skills and knowledge needed for a specific job or career path. For example, at Ensign you can get an AAS in interior design, information technology, business, social media marketing, and more. An AAS prepares you to enter the workforce right after graduation.

AAS programs require fewer general education credits and more program-specific credits than the AS. For this reason, the AAS does not transfer as a block of credits to another school. Your AAS classes may transfer individually, depending on the university's requirements.

Associate of Science (AS)

The AS degree is more general and focuses on building a foundation of broader knowledge in the sciences, math, or humanities. Many students earn an AS degree and then transfer to a 4-year university to earn a bachelor's degree.

At Ensign College, you can pair one or two eligible certificates with General Education classes to create your own custom, fully-transferrable associate degree. You can stop there, continue to a bachelor's degree at Ensign, or transfer to another school.

transfer with an associate degree and other schools accept as a block of credits vs. transfer without an associate degree you may not get credit for all the classes (they are evaluated individually, not as a block then you may have to take more classes to fill the gaps

Transferring Credits

If you are planning to transfer to another school, the smartest route is to complete an AS degree rather than just take a few classes.
  • Save Money: Take your general education and elective credits at a much lower tuition rate.
  • Save Time: You may not get credit for individual classes and will have to retake them, which costs you more time AND money.
Connect with Us
Megan Rice - LR-4 edit.jpg
Megan Rice
AS Degree & General Education Chair
Office: 385-528-1355
Kurt Fertig - General Education Faculty
Kurt Fertig
Science & American Institutions
Office: 801-524-8168
Sheri Skiba - Math Faculty
Sheri Skiba
Office: 801-524-1985
Daniel Rogers - Fine Arts and Humanities Faculty
Daniel Rogers
Fine Art and Humanities
Office: 801-524-8105


Have a question? Our Virtual Assistant may be able to help.

Close Modal