GENERAL EDUCATION & ASSOCIATE DEGREES
Great! Ensign is a cost-effective way to get started in college. And did you know that your credits will transfer more easily if they're packaged in an associate of science degree? Learn more below.
No problem! You can start with your general education courses and maybe try an introduction course in one of our certificate programs to see if you like it. Talk to your success advisor or a career mentor to explore your options.
Perfect! You have lots of options here. And with an associate of science degree, you'll not only graduate with fully transferable general education credits, you'll also have a career-focused certificate to help you earn more money while you're in school.
The Value of General Education at Ensign
College isn't just about picking a specialty and only taking classes in that one subject. General education courses give you a chance to explore new topics, meet different people, and become a well-rounded learner. Even if history, art, sociology, or algebra don't seem "useful" at first, they teach important skills you'll need no matter what job you choose.
At Ensign, general education is:
- Technical - Learn how to think critically, solve problems, and work in teams while you study writing, math, science, and humanities.
- Transferable - Our GE classes are designed to transfer to another school. See Transferring Credits below to see how pairing generals with a certificate to get an associate of science degree makes transferring even easier.
- Transformational - You grow into an independent thinker ready for higher learning and work, equipped for lifetime success.
What Is an Associate Degree?
An associate degree is a two-year college degree that focuses on the basics of a field. It sets you up for the future with a solid base of learning. It's perfect for students seeking a quicker path to start working or those wanting to save money on general education classes before transferring to a four-year university.
At Ensign College, we have two types of associate degrees: the associate of applied science (AAS) and the associate of science (AS).
Associate of Applied Science (AAS)
The AAS focuses on the skills and knowledge needed for a specific job or career path. For example, at Ensign you can get an AAS in interior design, information technology, business, social media marketing, and more. An AAS prepares you to enter the workforce right after graduation.
AAS programs require fewer general education credits and more program-specific credits than the AS. For this reason, the AAS does not transfer as a block of credits to another school. Your AAS classes may transfer individually, depending on the university's requirements.
Associate of Science (AS)
The AS degree is more general and focuses on building a foundation of broader knowledge in the sciences, math, or humanities. Many students earn an AS degree and then transfer to a 4-year university to earn a bachelor's degree.
At Ensign College, you can pair one or two eligible certificates with General Education classes to create your own custom, fully-transferrable associate degree. You can stop there, continue to a bachelor's degree at Ensign, or transfer to another school.
- Save Money: Take your general education and elective credits at a much lower tuition rate.
- Save Time: You may not get credit for individual classes and will have to retake them, which costs you more time AND money.
|Business and Accounting
|IT and Other